Knit Wits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

decreasing in a jumper

2 posters

Go down

decreasing in a jumper Empty decreasing in a jumper

Post  ChiSas Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:40 pm

Help!
I am a fairly new knitter.
At present I am knitting a cable jumper for a friend but have problems understanding how to go about knitting the decreases in the pattern and have had conflicting answers so far. The instructions are as follows:-

Dec1 st at each end of the 9th row and every following 7th row.
The cable pattern is done over 16 rows.

My dilemma is:

1. Do I decrease counting 7 rows after the 9th row (16th 7th 14th row of cable pattern) and so forth where decreases will be on both RS & WS rows or

2. Decrease only on the 7th row only of the 16 row cable pattern each time which would then be a RS row.

Chisas. Rolling Eyes

ChiSas

Back to top Go down

decreasing in a jumper Empty Re: decreasing in a jumper

Post  Liberty Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:05 am

Hi Chisas

Um I would read as - dec each end on the 9th row then every 7th which would mean the 16th row, then in theory the 7th row again of begining of cable pattern, then 14th row which would be alternating the sides which you decrease - which is unusual. How many do you have to decrease too and also does it give you an abbreviation on the decrease, because that could give you the clue, because if it is a knit decrease it is normally done on the rs and purl ws. Don't be afraid to question whether it is typo many patterns do have them.

Let me know how its working out!

Liberty Smile
Liberty
Liberty

Back to top Go down

decreasing in a jumper Empty [b]decreasing in a jumper[/b]

Post  ChiSas Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks for your help Liberty.

The pattern only gives notes for raglan shaping which are
K2 k2tog k to last 4 stitches k2tg tbl k2 which looking at the decrease on the sleeve are on a knit row.

It doesn't specify what to do with the decreases in the body of the jumper. apart from what I posted earlier dec 1 stitch at each end of 9th row and [b]every following 7th row until there are x stitches.. The only other clue is in the abbreviations where it does have p2tog so I am inclined to think I should decrease on both RS and WS for the body of the jumper.

Chisas.

ChiSas

Back to top Go down

Post  Liberty Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:06 pm

I agree that I think you do have to do the decreases on both sides, if it is on the first 2 stitches and last 2 stitches of a row then it shouldn't be such an issue as they will be hidden in the seam when you sew it up.

Happy knitting
Liberty
Liberty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum